I recently convinced Chef PickyKid to watch Cinderella with me, which was a surprise because she isn’t really a big fan of Disney Princesses or the movies they’re in. When she was in Kindergarten, she told me that she thought she was “the only girl in the whole wide world that doesn’t like Princesses”. Chef PickyKid has always preferred toys like trains, hot wheels, and especially Legos, but not so much the Princess stuff (although she has become quite a fan of Star Wars and Princess Leia, so I guess she can’t say she doesn’t like Princesses anymore).
Despite her lack of fondness for Disney Princesses, she watched Cinderella with me and actually enjoyed it! Afterward, she remembered she had received a Disney cookbook several years ago and that there was a recipe for making magic wand cookies, so she wanted to make them herself. Chef PickyKid is great at coming up with reasons to make sweet treats!
These were really easy to make and Chef PickyKid had fun decorating them. I just used pre-made sugar cookie dough, but if you’d rather have homemade cookies you can use your favorite sugar cookie recipe.
- 1 Package of refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- Pretzel sticks (the smaller ones, about 2 1/2 inches long)
- Decorator Icings-we used blue and pink but any color works great.
- Colored sugar, edible glitter, and/or dragees
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Roll out the cookie dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a well floured surface. Using a two inch star shaped cookie cutter, cut out dough into star shapes.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and lay a pretzel stick on the parchment paper. Place the star cookie on top of a pretzel stick, covering about 1/4 of the pretzel stick. Press the dough lightly around the pretzel stick to attach it.
- Bake for 4-6 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow the cookies to cool for 2-3 minutes on the cookie sheet, then carefully transfer to cooling racks to finish cooling. Allow cookies to cool completely before decorating.
- Once the cookies are cooled, spread icing on the cookies and sprinkle with colored sugar. Press dragees into the points of the stars, if desired. Let stand until the icing is set.